The Girl Before: A Novel

The Girl Before: A Novel - JP Delaney I just finished reading this and overall I was very impressed. I'm also excited to learn there will be a movie adaptation coming out, directed by Ron Howard, which is impressive in its own right especially considering the book won't be officially released until next month so apparently someone has faith in its success and I don't disagree.
[b:The Girl Before|28016509|The Girl Before|J.P. Delaney|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1470880789s/28016509.jpg|48027180] was a fast-paced, psychological, thriller that alternates point of view and narration between Jane Cavendish, in present tense, and Emma Matthews, a previous resident of the house Jane is now renting who died tragically at the residence under suspicious circumstances. Both women find common ground at One Folegate Street, an architectural wonder, designed, owned and dictated by Edward Monkford but aside from that and their striking physical resemblance the two women have little in common. Emma is deceitful and manipulative and dishonest to the core, where Jane is good hearted and well meaning, trying to recover from a recent still birth and uncover the history of the home she now lives in and the mysterious deaths of several of its former inhabitants. The home itself comes with many rules and regulations that the renter must agree to and follow under strict supervision of Edward Monkford. In a way this reminds me loosely of Fifty Shades of Grey even though I didn't like the Fifty Shades Trilogy at all and I thorough enjoyed [b:The Girl Before|28016509|The Girl Before|J.P. Delaney|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1470880789s/28016509.jpg|48027180], however there were definitely similarities. The dynamic between Edward and the women in his life for one, his narcissistic personality, his obsessive compulsive tendencies and need for absolute control, to name a few.

I really liked the contrast between Jane and Emma. J.P. Delaney did a great job creating realistic, three dimensional characters and I found it was easy to become invested in them because they were so real, despite their character flaws.

This was an ending that I didn't see coming, in more than one way actually, and that's something that I considered absolutely necessary in a good thriller. I will say that I found myself a bit disappointed at the very end. **spoiler alert** I don't want to say too much but I personally wasn't pleased with the choice Jane made at the very end. Perhaps it was the noble thing to do, however, if Edward had given me the same choice if I were in Jane's shoes I am quite confident I would have gone in the opposite direction then Jane went and I was hoping she'd do the same. I don't want to give to much away so I'll leave it at that.

I read a lot of books from this genre and I can honestly say this one can hold its own amongst the vast competition out there and I'd definitely recommend it and look forward to seeing the movie version when it comes out.